Bringing you live news and features since 2006 

OneFamily launches sustainable climate fund strategy with State Street Global Advisors


OneFamily is launching a new Sustainable Climate fund strategy that will back its new stocks and shares ISA and its existing Lifetime ISA from 1 September.The financial services company believes that these accounts will be of particular interest to the ethically minded generation of teens whose child trust funds are to mature from the beginning of September.

Account holders will have a choice; they can decide to invest 100 per cent of their money in the Sustainable Climate fund, or alternatively, if they wish not to invest all their money into equities, they can place 35 per cent of their investment in the new climate fund and the remainder, at least 65 per cent, in fixed interest investments.
OneFamily has been working closely with its investment manager, State Street Global Advisors, to ensure that its Sustainable Climate fund focuses solely on investing in global companies that are determined to tackle climate change. 
Jon Lee, Head of Investments Proposition at OneFamily, says: “As a mutual, we don’t have shareholders to pay dividends to, so what our members say has a direct influence on our business decision making.
“We estimate that, from September, around 80,000 child trust funds will be maturing every month. Each fund is worth an average of GBP2,000 and these teenagers are very much climate crisis aware so will be looking for a compelling proposition which supports their aims.
“The Greta Effect has had a massive impact on the way that teenagers are thinking about all aspects of their lives, and that includes where they put their savings.  They’re telling us that they want to invest in companies that reflect their beliefs.
“Almost eight out of ten (79 per cent)¹ teenagers tell us they are planning to save some or all of their child trust fund money. So, we wanted to get this right for them; to ensure that the funds behind our ISA and Lifetime ISA align with the United Nations Paris Accord on limiting climate change.
Cuan Coulter, Head of Europe Middle East and Africa for State Street Global Advisors, adds: “We’re delighted to work closely with OneFamily to develop this initiative that’s well in tune with today’s investors. The strategy helps deliver on our mission to invest responsibly and is consistent with our focus on ESG investing across our business.
“The Sustainable Climate strategy is leading the way in low-carbon investments. It’s designed to both reduce carbon intensity and to pivot investment to those companies that are adapting to and shaping the transition to the coming low-carbon economy.”
The fund draws on the MSCI World Index but aims to achieve a reduction in carbon intensity of 70 per cent, a reduction in brown revenues of 90 per cent and an increase in green revenues of 300 per cent.
Each company in the Sustainable Climate fund must be aligned to five specific factors; carbon intensity, brown revenues, fossil fuels, green revenue and adaption. They must keep striving to be sustainable, since they will be reassessed four times a year, those that drop their green standards will be removed from the fund.

Latest News

Figment Europe, a provider of institutional staking infrastructure, writes that it is solidifying its presence in the heart of Europe’s..
Saving and investing app, Moneybox, has doubled the number of ETFs available on the platform, in the light of ‘growing..
Global X ETFs has announced the appointment of Ryan O'Connor as its Chief Executive Officer effective as of April 8, 2024. ..
Value-driven structured credit investing firm, Angel Oak Capital Advisors, LLC, has announced the completed conversions of two of its mutual..

Related Articles

Ryan McCormack, Invesco
This year sees the 25th anniversary of Invesco’s QQQ, the USD240 billion ETF – the fifth largest ETF in the...
The European ETF market achieved a record 28 per cent growth – reaching over USD1.8 trillion assets under management (AUM)...
Sal Esposito, Zacks Investment Management
Zacks Investment Management started doing investment research in 1978 and in 1992 started its investment management arm, initially with SMAs...
Jeremy Senderowicz, Vedder Price
Jeremy Senderowicz, a member of the Investment Services Group at law firm Vedder Price, has witnessed a steady upswing in...
Subscribe to the ETF Express newsletter

Subscribe for access to our weekly newsletter, newsletter archive, updates on the site and exclusive email content.

Marketing by