Bringing you live news and features since 2006 

CoinShares ETPs reach record trading volumes

RELATED TOPICS​

CoinShares’ exchange traded products (ETPs) reached record trading volumes on Wednesday, 19 May, 2021. CoinShares has two ETP platforms, XBT Provider, with USD3.9 billion in AUM, and the newly launched CoinShares Physical platform, with USD367 million in AUM.

With more than USD490 million in CoinShares ETPs changing hands on a day with significant market volatility, CoinShares – a publicly listed company under the CS ticker – had the highest volume traded of any European crypto ETP provider. 

In recent weeks, the cryptocurrency market has reached as high as USD2.6 trillion and as low as USD1.4 trillion, and while the asset class can be volatile, even the lower of these figures reflects over half a trillion dollars of market growth since the start of the year. These are impressive numbers, and it’s important to note that the crypto asset class only comprises 35 basis points of global wealth, highlighting the opportunity for further growth. 

These record highs marked a new milestone for CoinShares. The previous record high was 22 February, 2021 at USD252 million. Prior to, the most active day in trading volume was 22 December, 2017, with USD250 million in certificates trading hands.

Notably, USD312 million or 63 per cent of this activity was in ETH exposure, with the remaining USD179 million or 37 per cent being in bitcoin, litecoin, and XRP exposures. As noted in the CoinShares Weekly Digital Asset Fund Flows report, in recent weeks Bitcoin investment products have seen net outflows for the first time, while ether investment products have continued to see net inflows. This reflects increased investor interest in a wider range of digital assets beyond just bitcoin, and growing levels of participation in this market.

Frank Spiteri, CoinShares’ Chief Revenue Officer, says: “These impressive volumes demonstrate the robustness of our ETPs which deliver great outcomes for our investors and continue to operate seamlessly during even the most volatile periods. At a time when several crypto exchanges halted trading, our ETPs are being used as a trusted vehicle to access the digital asset class.”

Chief Executive Officer at CoinShares, Jean-Marie Mognetti, adds: “Technology is the backbone of our Company and over the last seven years, we have invested in building the right infrastructure and trading platform with sufficient capacity and performance to bring trust, transparency, and reliability to this new asset class. The XBT Provider product family has not had to halt trading despite some pretty amazing volatility spikes. This is not a surprise but simply the visible proof that CoinShares is first and foremost a financial technology company bringing to market products which are backed by a robust technology stack. Days like yesterday are tangible proof of the commitment and dedication of our engineers. 

“This is an important reminder for large traders and allocators evaluating digital asset products and ETPs. Fees are always presented as the key decision factor for investors when making allocation decisions, but yesterday’s market volatility highlights why this is the wrong focus. Too often brand reputation, spread, on screen liquidity, daily volume, tracking error and legal structure are overlooked. CoinShares products offer exceptional liquidity, even in volatile markets, and bring trust and credibility, backed by seven years of operating experience, to a crowded market landscape.”


Did you like this article? We’re holding an online digital assets summit on 10 June. Click here to claim your place…

Latest News

Figment Europe, a provider of institutional staking infrastructure, writes that it is solidifying its presence in the heart of Europe’s..
Saving and investing app, Moneybox, has doubled the number of ETFs available on the platform, in the light of ‘growing..
Global X ETFs has announced the appointment of Ryan O'Connor as its Chief Executive Officer effective as of April 8, 2024. ..
Value-driven structured credit investing firm, Angel Oak Capital Advisors, LLC, has announced the completed conversions of two of its mutual..

Related Articles

Jigna Gibb, Bloomberg
Bloomberg Indices has recently hired Jigna Gibb as Head of Commodities and Crypto Index Products, to lead its commodities and...
Robert Minter, director of ETF investment strategy at abrdn takes a look at passive investing in commodities and shares his...
Ryan McCormack, Invesco
This year sees the 25th anniversary of Invesco’s QQQ, the USD240 billion ETF – the fifth largest ETF in the...
ETFs
The European ETF market achieved a record 28 per cent growth – reaching over USD1.8 trillion assets under management (AUM)...
Subscribe to the ETF Express newsletter

Subscribe for access to our weekly newsletter, newsletter archive, updates on the site and exclusive email content.

Marketing by